Plenty of rugby for all ages, check these out, and join in if able, tell them Animal sent you;
1. Saranac Lake, (Can-Am Rugby), 27 – 29 Jul 18: several teammates have expressed interest in playing at Saranac Lake: Chris Carr, Tim Dankanich, Mike Dowgin, Peter Newfield, Mac Robertson. Adding those the folks who have essentially said “anytime, anyplace:” Dan Carter, Dennis Frisch, Billy Goodell, Tom Prigmore and me bring us to 10 players. We’re still short of enough players to enter a team as the FOBs, and that’s if everyone who has expressed interest actually travels. The entry fee is $750 and is non-refundable. Absent more players, it seems unwise to pay the entry fee to enter a team. If you are committed to go and play, please respond to this email. I’ll share the results by email.
2. Aspen Ruggerfest, 13 – 16 Sep 18: several teammates have also expressed interest in playing again at Aspen: Chris Carr, Tim Dankanich, Bill Dillard, Charlie Jones, Peter Newfield, Jerry Razer, Mark Sund, Steve Timmons. Adding the “anytime, anyplace” folks from above, and we appear to be at 13 players, again short of enough players to enter a team as the FOBs. If you are committed to go and play, please respond to this email. I’ll share the results.
3. New Orleans (NOLA Old Boys Tournament), 13 Oct 18: Billy Goodell is trying to pull together a 55s team to play a two match round robin in New Orleans with NOLS Old Boys and Mystic River/Wild Geese (Massachusetts and D.C.). We can participate as the FOBs or we can go as individuals and pick up matches with Billy’s motley crew. As with the other events, if you are committed to go and play, please respond to this email. I’ll share the results.
4. Chicago for 3 International matches, 03 Nov 18: USA v. Maori All Blacks (5:15 PM), Ireland v. Italy (3:00 PM), and USA Women v. New Zealand Black Ferns (12:00 PM), all at Soldier Field. For all who wish to attend, let me know and we’ll find a place for dinner the night before or dinner after the matches.
5. Gainesville, Florida, for the 50th Anniversary of UFRFC, 15 – 17 Feb 19: planning is well under way for this big event, with reps from each 10 year era of UF Rugby comprising the organizing committee. Follow the effort on Facebook and watch for email newsletters from George Luttrell (to a list combining our FOBs list, plus the Master Gators list, plus other known UF rugby alumni). If you know of a UF alum, or anyone who has ever played for the FOBs or been a part of the FOB family, or anyone who may have played at UF in an era other than that reasonably consistent with the FOB age cohort (1969 – ~ 1982), who is not receiving emails, let me or George know and we’ll add them to the combined list.
6. Memorabilia: If you have photos from UF or FOB rugby, please consider sharing some or all of them with me for presentation at the 50th Anniversary celebration. I’m not sure yet what form the presentation will take, although I can envision a continuous video stream running during the (presumed) reception Friday and dinner Saturday. Part of the answer will be driven by how much material I receive and when, that is, how close to the event, I receive it. A flash or thumb drive or CD of your favorite photos would be ideal, and please include the date range of the photos. Send them to the address below, as soon as possible, please, and consider October 1st as the deadline.